From: owner-epson-inkjet@leben.com
[mailto:owner-epson-inkjet@leben.com]On Behalf Of SKID Photography
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 10:08 PM
To: epson-inkjet@leben.com
Subject: Re: Matte vs Glossy

As far as what Obs do (whether in the coating or base paper), and whether
inks
fade faster:  We obviously do not know for certain yet but...There are hints
out
there.  Optical brighteners are very active on a molecular level. That is
how
they work; and there are strong indications that the excited photons from
the
Obs can and do cause disastrous cascade events to the molecular structures
(and
stability) of inks.

Do we know 'for sure'?  No.  Is it a good idea to use papers with OBs?  No.
At
least not if you are going for a very stable (over years worth of time)
image.

I do not know if it was on this list (I actually think it was the Epson 9000
list and the Ink Options list), but Mike at M&M just had a disaster with
some
prints (using the Indelible Inks and Epson Archival Matte paper) he sent to
client via the US mail.  It was a *paper* failure.  They traced the route,
and
it was determined that the prints were irradiated for anthrax by the US post
Office.  Is this normal (to expect irradiation)?  No, but it was an
extremely
aggravated aging test courtesy of the USPS.

In my opinion, this is what will happen to all inkjet prints on papers with
optical brighteners in them.  Am I being obsessive compulsive about this?
Probably.  But I have seen 25 year old improperly washed B&W photos self
destruct, and it's not something that I wish to repeat in inkjet printing if
can help it.

It's like he big lie in the industry.  All the paper companies tell you not
worry about it, but in 25 to 50 years there will be a whole generation of
images
that will just give up the ghost, and these companies will not be
responsible
*and* it will be too late.  Look at what is happening to most of the 20 the
Century documents...They are self destructing in their own acids.

Now the Library of Congress has set up archival standards.  If you want a
stable
paper, it must not contain any acids, be all rag, be slightly buffered, and
have
no optical brighteners.

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]