Re: Testing papers

Without profiles you are guessing. However in the space pull down menu,
there are perhaps 50 or more canned profiles. A long time ago, when I
was learning, I printed a small print with each and every one of them.
They all resulted in similar but different prints. A few were radically
different. But you'll eventually find one that will show you the
brightness and gamut of the inks. You could also put a strip of the 10
brightest possible colors below your photograph. This will show you how
bright the inks can be. Also include a 21 step stepwedge, and see which
canned profile handles the grays the best. This will just be ball park
stuff, but you do learn a lot. Then when you decide on your papers, you
can have them profiled.

jerry

Raymond Jackson wrote:

>    Like Jerry Olson, I've got a 1280, the Gen5 inks, and an
> NMC CIS on order.  I've also ordered sample packs of lots
> of different papers to try out.  My goal is to pick three
> papers: an inexpensive "proofing" paper, an RC luster/pearl
> paper for photo prints I want to look like "real" photographic prints,
> and an archival matte.  I'll get a professional profile made for
> each of the three finalists.
>
>    How should I go about testing the papers?  Since I'll be using
> pigments I'll test for rub-off and metamerism.  I'll also see
> how the RC takes getting wet.  I can look for dot gain and gamut,
> though without proper profiles I won't really know how good any
> given paper could be made to look. What else should I look/test
> for?
>
>    I'll be using qimage to do the printing.  I'm planning to use sRGB
> as the printer profile.  What mode (Automatic/PhotoEnhance/Custom)
>   in the driver should I use?  I' want to test each paper with one or two
> of the driver paper settings to see how they handle different quantities
> of ink.  I assume the matte setting will be appropriate for the matte
> papers.  I use the film setting for colorlife now, is that a good setting
> for the
> luster papers?  Which other settings should I test?  What is the order of
> the settings as far as how much ink they lay down?
>
>    I don't have a good test image at this point; any suggestions?
> Flesh tones are important to me and I'd like something that
> will show shadow detail and fine detail, as well as some nice
> bright colors.
>
>    I've learned a lot from this group over the few months I've been
> a member.  I'd like to give something back by sharing the test
> results with the list.  Any suggestions for making the tests
> better will be gladly received.
>
> Ray
>
> -
-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]