Re: Precal and Optical settings

In a message dated 1/21/02 7:49:52 AM, bobfrost@btopenworld.com writes:

>Having just upgraded from Photocal to Optical, I find the choice of settings
>
>in the various dropdown dialogs slightly bewildering, and the Users Guide
>is
>
>not very helpful. So could someone please tell me:-

You wanted control; and with control comes responsibility! <G>

>1     In Precal, what is the difference between choosing D55, say, and
>5500K
>
>as my color temperature in the dropdown dialog box?

Technically the two are not identical, but for your uses you won't see a
significant difference.  Settings other than xxxxK are for specialty uses.
6500K would be my recommendation... if you use unwhitened papers and don't
use Photoshop 6's proofing preview with paperwhite checked, then 5500 could
be appropriate.

>2    In Optical, what is the difference between choosing, say, Native,
>D55,
>
>and 5500K in the Whitepoint dropdown dialog?

Native assumes that you have already set this in PreCAL (or in the case of
the Apple LCDs, that it has been preset for you) and improves your gray
balance a bit for some machines by not "double defining" your whitepoint. So
my recommendation would be Native under most circumstances, and certainly
anywhere that you have used PreCAL.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com
-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]