From: owner-epson-inkjet@leben.com [mailto:owner-epson-inkjet@leben.com]On
Behalf Of Roger Smith
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 12:45 PM
To: epson-inkjet@leben.com
Subject: Re: Why multiples of 60

At 10:39 AM -0500 1/15/02, T.O. Galloway wrote:
>Why is it generally agreed upon that you get the best prints from Epson
>printers if you print at resolutions that are multiples of 60?  240, 300
>etc.
>
>Does this hold true for other brands of printers?

        It doesn't even hold true for Epson printers, at least any
made in the last few years.
        Last year I tried printing images at many different
resolutions - 240, 300, 360 and something weird like 357.368 ppi. I
used 1200, 1160 and 870 printers, with maximum quality (1440 dpi) on
glossy paper. I was trying to answer this question of an "ideal"
print resolution, which comes up periodically.
        Using a 4x loupe, I was able to see that the quality improved
slightly from 240 to 300, through to 360. What surprised me was that
the odd resolution print (357.368ppi) was identical to the 360 print.
At the time a brief discussion ensued as to whether or not the Epson
driver does its own resampling before it prints, so that it matters
little what resolution you send to the printer, as long as it's high
enough. There is also some evidence that too high a resolution
(beyond 500 or 600 ppi, as I recall) can actually degrade the print
quality, but I wouldn't swear to that.

At 10:39 AM -0500 1/15/02, T.O. Galloway wrote:
>From time to time I teach a bit of basic digital photography in with some
>other classes. A student asked the immortal question 'Why' and I know I had
>the look of Gomer Pyle.

        Why not get your students to try it for themselves - might be
a fun exercise and it would help to answer the question once and for
all. Maybe Jim Nabors can make a guest appearance :-)

Regards,
Roger Smith
-

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]