Epson 870

Thanks for your help with color profiling solutions...at least now I am getting an idea about recommended products to look into.  Hope you folks don't mind beginners questions because I have some.  If these are too simplistic or innapproriate please let me know.

I am currently using an Epson 870 with Epson inks.  My output, even at highest 1440 resolution with printing in one direction only leaves a bit to be desired.  I can see 'dots' comprising the image on the printout, especially in the more out of focus areas.  The slides and negs are scanned with a Canon FS4000 and with generally one round of unsharp masking.  I suppose it could be grain in the out of focus areas, but I am not certain.

I have heard many say that the output on 890 and 1280 printers can be essentially true photo quality.  I am wondering about the quality of the 870, to ensure that this is not the problem.  At the time I bought it my understanding was that the only difference between it and the 1270 was in the ability of the 1270 to give larger output and that, for all intents and purposes, they were otherwise equivalent.  I have also read that the only differences between the 870 and 890 and the 1270 and 1280 is in 2880 dpi vs 1440...but that they are otherwise the same.  Most everything I have read says that for MOST photo work the difference between 1440 and 2880 is barely discernable.  Based on the above, I would surmise that the only real difference between the quality of the 870 and 1280 is in the ability to make larger prints with the 1280, but that if 8x10 is all you want the quality of the 870 and 1280 should be pretty comparable.  Is this true?

Thanks

Howard
HMSDOC@aol.com
-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]