RE: Color Profiling

> I was hoping that some of you might be able to specifically recommend
> products that would allow me to calibrate and profile my monitor,
flatbed
> scanner, film scanner, and printer.  I am obviously looking for
something
> that would give very good results and is geared towards the advanced
> amateur.
>  But what about the price tag?  Let's just say I could go to about
$450 or
> so.

I haven't seen any instrument based system that will profile all these
devices for $450.  I think you may be over estimating what all you need.
There is a logic to calibrating systems.

1).  Calibrate the monitor.  This is the heart of the user interface.
When you calibrate the monitor you then know that the color file you
have edited contains the color information you want.  You don't really
need to calibrate the scanners or cameras that input unless you want
absolute color.  There may be instances when you want absolute color but
most of us want to edit the color to what we want it to look like not
what it actually was.

I purchased ProveIt! with the Chroma4 colorimeter for about $450 and am
very satisfied with the results.

2).  Calibrate the printer.  I simply use Epson cartridges, papers and
use the ICM control on the printer interface and am pleased with the
color match that I obtain.  If you use other inks, papers or want finer
control then you will need to have the printer profiled.  Someone else
will have to make recommendations about printer profilers since I don't
use one.  I may purchase one someday when I branch out in to other inks
and papers.

Dick Reed
Toskhara Arabians
Leicestershire, England
www.toskhara.com

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]