encryption metadata not stored with filesystem

Hi!

On trying to work with ecryptfs I have found that I have to store ecryptfs
configuration in an undocumented file ~/.ecryptfsrc like:

merkaba:~> cat .ecryptfsrc
ecryptfs_unlink_sigs
ecryptfs_sig=[…]
ecryptfs_fnek_sig=[…]
ecryptfs_xattr
ecryptfs_key_bytes=32
ecryptfs_cipher=aes
ecryptfs_passthrough=n

in order to mount ecryptfs without mount options.

This makes handling of ecryptfs filesystem more complicated than encfs, since
encfs seems to store encryption metadata in the encrypted directory itself:

merkaba:~> ls -l /home/.ms2/.encfs5
-rw-r----- 1 root root 241 Mai 19  2008 /home/.ms2/.encfs5

Thus with ecryptfs I have to save the encrypted directory and the filesystem
settings for a backup while with encfs its enough to copy the encrypted
directory.

Please consider to add this feature in ecryptfs.

It will also make setting up ecryptfs easier.

Thanks,
--
Martin Steigerwald - teamix GmbH - http://www.teamix.de
gpg: 19E3 8D42 896F D004 08AC A0CA 1E10 C593 0399 AE90