IPv6 fails when IPv4 not configured

I've run into a problem when trying to use IPv6 without IPv4.

With an IPv4 address configured, I can use IPv6 with either a static
address or using DHPCv6 and everything works fine.

If I configure a static IPv6 address, everything is fine.  However, if
when I try to use DHCPv6 without IPv4, both my dhcp client and the
eCos radv6 daemon report "no route to host" failures trying to send.
I believe they're both trying to send link-local multicast packets and
failing because the interface doesn't have a link local address.

How do I get the network stack to create and configure an IPv6
link-local address for the interface.  It seems that configuring the
interface with a static IPv6 address does that as a "side effect". How
do I get that to happen without configuring a static IPv6 address?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Is a tattoo real, like
                                  at               a curb or a battleship?