library uses type size_t but my build can not resolve it

Hi,
I built a library for an arm-processor (AT91SAM7s256) based system. String routines and many others use the type size_t. But all such functions I reference seem to have a problem with this type, because its defined nowhere. Nevertheless, the build is successful.

The stddef.h linked into my library is the one from

ecos\packages\isoinfra\current\include

All this file contains is (essentially):

#include_next <stddef.h>

but there is no other stddef.h in my library. I do not grasp the logic behind this. Any help?