not possible to have a ROM app that's started by system w/ Redboot?

Any old timers on the list remember if this has ever been done successfully in the past?
>From the archives, I dug up these:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2010-09/msg00018.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2012-06/msg00011.html

The first guy in 2010 was told basically to use the ROMRAM setup (program in ROM, then Redboot copies it into RAM to run).
No answer to the second guy.
Can't find any examples in the docs.

I'm getting the sense the answer is no, so we should just get rid of Redboot and run the app directly out of ROM, though it'd be nice if we could use Redboot because Redboot would be useful in unbricking a device w/o a JTAG debugger...