Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/hardy-lum-compat

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:39:28 -0400
> "Michael Krufky" <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Mauro,
>>
>> The current version, and older versions of Ubuntu have a kernel module
>> backport package, called "linux-ubuntu-modules" , where they backport
>> modules into their older kernels so that users can have driver support
>> without having to build the new drivers themselves.  This becomes
>> problematic when Ubuntu users go ahead and build the v4l-dvb
>> repository anyway, for newer driver support.
>>
>> The LUM package stores the backported modules in /lib/modules/`uname
>> -r`/ubuntu/media/ rather than in /lib/modules/`uname
>> -r`/kernel/drivers/media/ , where we expect the modules to be.
>>
>> This change adds the known duplicated modules into v4l/obsolete.txt ,
>> so that the build system will automatically remove the known
>> duplicated modules from the ubuntu/media/ tree before installing the
>> new modules, preventing the wrong version of the module from loading.
>>
>> We can expect users to start complaining about problems loading
>> v4l/dvb drivers soon, if we dont fix this now.  Please merge these
>> changes to prevent the problem before it starts.
>>
>> Please pull from:
>>
>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/hardy-lum-compat
>>
>> for the following:
>>
>> - Prevent possible conflicts with Ubuntu's L-U-M package
>> - Add uvcvideo.ko to the list of duplicated modules from Ubuntu's LUM
>>

>  ../../../ubuntu/media/sms1xxx/sms1xxx
> +../../../ubuntu/media/usbvideo/uvcvideo.ko
>
> Hmm... I think the .ko above is wrong.

You're right -- I just corrected that in the tree -- my bad.

> Also, I don't see you touching at the v4l core files. I've seen some Ubuntu
> users complaining that their foo.ko module doesn't load due to the differences
> between their old v4l core files and the newer ones.
>
> The same issue will happen also for DVB-S2 users, where dvb core should also be
> replaced.

This is to delete the ubuntu backport modules -- they backport
additional drivers against the v4l / dvb cores in their kernel, but they
do not actually backport the cores themselves.

This might change with intrepid++ , but for now, my current solution
alleviates the issue.

Please merge.

Regards,

Mike