Re: [PULL] http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> Be warned that this may break some drivers for kernels older than
> mainstream.
>
> After applying the patches, I noticed that one of the i2c changes is not
> compatible with older kernels. It produces just a warning, but it is, in
> fact a trouble: one i2c function (probe) now have two arguments, instead
> of one. The issue appears at v4l2-i2c-drv-legacy.h. Probably, the
> easiest way to fix is to add some compat code there.
>
> As I said, I had to take some days off, so I can't promise nothing until
> Monday. I've just did the backport at since you've pushed too hard. So,
> feel free to send me a patch, if you can work on it. I might have some
> time tomorrow night to apply it, if someone backport the change to the
> older kernels and send it to me.

I couldn't resist to fix this. Changeset 7826 removed the warnings and
_seems_ to properly fix the issue:

changeset:   7826:4c4fd6b8755c
tag:         tip
user:        Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
date:        Fri May 02 07:51:27 2008 -0300
summary:     v4l2-i2c-drv*.h: fix warnings caused by I2C API change

Please, notice that I'm without hardware here to test.

One of the advantages of the approach I took is that just two small compat
code were needed at the *.h. No need of lots of ugly #if's with
KERNEL_VERSION on all drivers that would define a probe() method.

--
Cheers,
Mauro Carvalho Chehab