Re: commit b5dc0d108cd3c0b50ddcb6f6c54be1bea4c39e01 breaks imx-drm support

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Rob Clark <robdclark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> right, but the cores on the SoC, and even any external encoder chips,
>> are not actually hot-pluggable.  I have a similar scenario w/ msm drm,
>
> oh, and come to think of it, same approach it tilcdc.  And I'm sure
> there are other drivers with the same scenario.

i915 and nouveau also support encoder slaves, and they also have them
all built-in. And I think requesting the module at driver init time
(where I mean any point in time between when the master module loads
and userspace first starts using it) seems fraught with with deadlock
issues if we have to wait for it.

So imo in the current drm state there is no way you can built slave
drivers as modules. It's simply broken. I agree that it'd be nice to
have a better solution, but atm I don't even have an idea what it is.
But applying duct-tape in ->firstopen is certainly not the right way.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation