Re: DM / LVM hangs if snapshot present on kernel v3.0.3

On 02/20/12 14:51, Mike Snitzer wrote:
I've never seen this. Which distro are you using?

Ubuntu 11.04  64-bit but with vanilla 3.0.3 kernel

Ubuntu's lvm:
# lvm version
  LVM version:     2.02.66(2) (2010-05-20)
  Library version: 1.02.48 (2010-05-20)

The "Snapshot cow pairing for exception table handover failed" is the error path most commonly associated with the snapshot-merge feature. Are you using snapshot-merge for the root LV (e.g. lvconvert --merge ...)? Mike

Absolutely not, never merged a snapshot in my life, and also the root of the host was *not* on LVM.

Here is some more info:

Host machine had 2 PV, 2 VG (each of 1 PV), only one LV had only one snapshot, more specifically:

PV1 (a MD raid) --> VG1 --> 5 x LVs used for virtual machines disks; of these, only one LV had one snapshot. No other snapshots. None of these volumes were mounted on the host. This is where the problem happened. PV2 (a MD raid) --> VG2 --> 1 x LV , I don't remember if this was mounted on the host at that time or was a disk for a virtual machine, but anyway was not the root filesystem of the host. No snapshots here.

Root filesystem of the host was definitely *not* on LVM.

Unfortunately the machine where it happened is a production machine and it's too dangerous to try to reproduce it there; this weekend I tried to reproduce it elsewhere but clearly it didn't happen. I had a stack trace of the DM hang but I lost it, stupid me...