Re: [Multipath] Round-robin performance limit

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 15:54 -0400, Adam Chasen wrote:
> John,
> I am limited in a similar fashion. I would much prefer to use multibus
> multipath, but was unable to achieve bandwidth which would exceed a
> single link even though it was spread over the 4 available links. Were
> you able to gain even a similar performance of the RAID0 setup with
> the multibus multipath?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam
Yes but it depends :)  A single iSCSI conversation is limited to the
bandwidth of a single path.  However, the aggregate bandwidth of several
simultaneous conversations can begin to utilize the links well.  I wish
there was a simple answer.  However, even with RAID0, do all four links
fire at once or are they fired serially to write each stripe? In which
case, again, the individual throughput is probably quite limited and the
real gain is in aggregate throughput through multiple concurrent reads
and writes.  However, I am by no means an expert on this subject - John