Re: setvar MIA?

On 01/11/2011 09:54 AM, Aragon Gouveia wrote:
> I wasn't sure of its status in POSIX.  It is useful for declaring
> variable variables - tidier than eval and I imagine faster, eg.
>
> index="1"
> setvar var_${index} "value"
>
> Will emulate it with a local function - thanks.

Indeed, it looks like FreeBSD introduced it as shorthand for:

setvar() { eval $1=\$2; }

The speed difference between that function doing an eval and a shell
builtin would be in the noise.  I don't know why FreeBSD even bothered
to pollute the namespace with a builtin like that.

--
Eric Blake   eblake@xxxxxxxxxx    +1-801-349-2682