Re: static vs. dynamic scoping

On 14/11/10 00:54, ÐÐÑÐÐ ÐÑÑÐÐÐÐÐÑÐÐÑ wrote:
Now function a uses typeset IFS="X" to set the field separator to "X"
via a local variable IFS. If function b now uses "read foo1 foo2 foo3"
to read a line of a database the concept of dynamic scoping *BITES*.

The way I had seen "local IFS" used is to sanitise IFS -- to reset IFS to the default value, when IFS was set to, for example, : before the function was called, and the function wants to split on whitespace. In that case, you don't want b to get IFS=:. Both forms are used, and in your form, I agree, static scoping is more useful.