Re: saslauthd and multiple mechs

John,

Very much appreciated but I think we're doing OK using PAM for now. What we did was just point saslauthd at pam, and have PAM perform auth against several backend systems. All of the auth in our case is coming through slapd, so the PAM service requested by saslauthd is always 'ldap'. This allowed us to configure PAM for saslauthd without otherwise messing with the rest of our PAM config. Our /etc/pam.d/ldap looks like this:

<snip>
# Note that we only set up 'auth' here, no password/session/etc.

# This tries KRB5 first, using the system-wide settings
auth    sufficient      pam_krb5.so ignore_root
# Next we try KRB5 again, but with a non-default realm because some of our users are not in OTHERREALM.COM auth sufficient pam_krb5.so ignore_root use_first_pass realm=OTHERREALM.COM
# lastly, try pam_ldap
auth    sufficient      pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
</snip>

I'd still prefer to have saslauthd handle this, but thankfully with the flexibility of pam_krb5 and pam_ldap, we're able to use PAM for slapd+saslauthd without interfering with anything else in the system, and it's actually working great so far. saslauthd+PAM may end up being an advantage for us rather than a workaround.

- Mike