Re: loop-aes: make tests fails: Device busy

* Jens Lechtenboerger <lechten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm using a netbook with Atom processor and internal ATA disk
> (Seagate).  File system is ext3.  What do you need to know?

I was speculating that your hardware was a multi-CPU system with an
smp kernel. Having ruled that out, I'm not exactly sure what could be
possibly causing it. I cannot reproduce it, I'm on an E5200,
2.6.27.19-smp #2 SMP PREEMPT kernel.

Are you using PREEMPT as well? Could you try again with PREEMPT
disabled?

> In the meantime I did some more tests: I've got the same problem
> with "make tests" on a USB stick with reiserfs as well as ext2.

I don't think it's filesystem related, not even close. Also, it's not
worrysome and no data is (going to be) lost. You are fine to use root
encryption with that setup.

If your processor utilizes hyperthreading, then I could imagine being
that the cause; one task is finishing before the one holding some
loop lock, thus the busy error message. Still a wild guess.

Just strange that I cannot reproduce the effect (on a ramdisk even),
might be the kernel series, then. I'm going to run some tests on the
recently released kernels. Do you experience this only with a
2.6.28.x kernel or also the .27 series?

Btw, how did you set up root encryption? If you got a link to share
(blog?) I'd be happy to add it to the FAQ.

--
left blank, right bald
loop-AES FAQ: http://mareichelt.de/pub/texts.loop-aes.php#faq