Re: the cold-boot attack

markus reichelt wrote:
> * Jacob Appelbaum <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> We did run our attacks on loop-aes and we did find keying material.
>> We actually found a very large amount of keying material. We didn't
>> bother to implement a decryption utility with the keys found it
>> memory, it would be trivial to do so though.
>
> So ... drop your pants, give more details.
>
> Pretty please :)

Oh Markus! Always asking to catch people with their pants down. :-)

We implemented a program we call 'keyfinder' and it operates as
described in our pdf:
http://citp.princeton.edu.nyud.net/pub/coldboot.pdf

Please see section: 5.2 Recovering AES keys

Of course an easy test is to take a look at your running /dev/mem and
see if your key is in memory. If it is, it's highly likely one can
extract it with our technique or with even simpler methods such as
trying each 128bit block of 8 byte aligned data.

All of this is in our paper. We even have a video that explains things
nicely here:
http://citp.princeton.edu/memory/

Regards,
Jacob Appelbaum