Re: Kernel tainted - no version for "loop_unregister_transfer"

Phil H wrote:
> Replacing tr with sed did seem to fix the compile

I changed it to:   sed -e 's/[^0-9]//g'
                       ^^
That way it is more consistent with other sed usage in that Makefile.

> but I had to set INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/ on the make line to get them
> installed.

Could you provide output of your loop-AES make commands, with and without
INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/ specified. New loop-AES Makefile always calls kernel's
'modules_install' target unless MODINST=n is specified on loop-AES make
command line. INSTALL_MOD_PATH= only affects where new modules are
installed. At least that is the way it is supposed to work. If MODINST=n is
present on make command line, then compiled modules are left in
'tmp-d-kbuild' directory inside loop-AES source directory. Adding a V=1
make command line parameter increases amount of info printed.

> They then installed into 'extra' rather than the usual 'block' directory,
> which is wrong since modules.dep says loop.ko should be in 'block'. I
> copied the new loop.ko into 'block' but get this in dmesg:

Kernel's externally compiled modules installation directory is 'extra'. That
is where kernel's build and installation scripts want to put them.

After modules are installed, depmod program is run. It updates modules.dep
to reflect new module locations. Updated modules.dep file is one more file
that needs to be copied to your target file system.

> loop_serpent: disagrees about version of symbol loop_unregister_transfer
> loop_serpent: Unknown symbol loop_unregister_transfer
> loop_serpent: disagrees about version of symbol md5_transform_CPUbyteorder_C
> loop_serpent: Unknown symbol md5_transform_CPUbyteorder_C
> loop_serpent: disagrees about version of symbol loop_compute_sector_iv
> loop_serpent: Unknown symbol loop_compute_sector_iv
> loop_serpent: disagrees about version of symbol loop_register_transfer
> loop_serpent: Unknown symbol loop_register_transfer
> loop_serpent: disagrees about version of symbol loop_compute_md5_iv_v3
> loop_serpent: Unknown symbol loop_compute_md5_iv_v3

Does that still happen if you ditch old loop.ko loop_serpent.ko
loop_twofish.ko and loop_blowfish.ko from old 'block' directory, and only
use the ones that new Makefile installed in 'extra' directory?

> Also, the new loop.ko has a different md5sum than the previous (working)
> one which was already inserted from initrd.gz during boot.

Executable code is probably same, but module's version info is generated
differently. So you end up with different md5sum.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-