Re: Linux distro w/loop-aes

Hi Peter,

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:26:41PM +0200, Peter_22@xxxxxx wrote:
> No, we are far from a distro that asks for a memory stick to save
> your root gpg files on it. Very far.

What makes you think so?

FWIW, this is an itch that has scratched me for a while now and
I've only stopped working on it because our code was frozen for
release. I've already reserved some weekends for adding the support
for keys on removable media to debian-installer in the next few
weeks. I realize that this is won't be directly useful to users of
other Linux distributions, but I wouldn't say we (as in the free
software community) are far away from such features, at all :-)

Speaking for debian-installer (the only installer I have a
good enough understanding of), I think most of the infrastructure
is in fact already there. For example, much of the code required
for accessing removable media can be shared with other parts of
the installer that handle the loading of firmware or updated
kernel modules. I would think this is not much different with other
distribution installers. If they already handle e.g. loading of
pre-configuration from floppy or USB media, it may not be much work
to extend it for write access and generating/storing the keys.

cheers,
Max

-