Re: v3.13.5 intel_pstate: cpufreq: __cpufreq_add_dev: ->get() failed

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 01:25:17 PM Viresh Kumar wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 4:57 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Well, ->setpolicy drivers are a special case anyway, so we can simply skip the
> >> current frequency updates in __cpufreq_add_dev() and cpufreq_update_policy()
> >> for them.
> >
> > In other words, we can do something like in the patch below I suppose?
>
> I don't think its a good idea to handle ->setpolicy specially here.
> Zero shouldn't
> be allowed as a return value of any online CPU. And doesn't matter at all with
> ->setpolicy or ->target.

I agree that returning 0 from ->get() is not a good idea, but that happened
already before your commit and you broke working code.

Also it doesn't make sense to update policy->cur before calling
cpufreq_set_policy() for ->setpolicy drivers, because they don't need that.
And that's what my patch is about.

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.