Re: switching to top frequency too frequent with ondemand governor and no_hz

On 2 June 2011 13:41, Markus Trippelsdorf <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2011.06.01 at 20:00 +0200, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:

>> > A very interesting bit of information.  What do you have set for
>> > up_threshold?  You may have to set it higher for CONFIG_NO_HZ than
>> > without, based on your symptoms.  Another thing to look at is your
>> > sampling_rate.  I'm guessing it differs between CONFIG_NO_HZ being set
>> > or not.
>>
>> I've played with all those parameters, but unfortunately it didn't make
>> any difference.
>>
>> > And perhaps you need to set sampling_down_factor a bit lower.  I
>> > consider 100 a reasonable default, but a default of "1" was put in
>> > initially to make the behavior of the patch that enabled the factor
>> > identical with not having the patch.  If you are more concerned with
>> > saving power than maximizing throughput, you might consider a much
>> > lower value like 5 or 10.
>>
>> Yes, I've tried different values and 200 turned out to be the best based
>> on my preferences (throughput over power saving). It makes a big
>> difference in the compile time of bigger projects, especially during the
>> configuration phase.
>>
>> But I have found the root cause of symptoms described above by
>> bisection. It turned out that 2.6.39 is also affected, so I've bisected
>> down to 2.6.38.
>> This is the result:
>>
>>  5cb2c3bd0c5e0f3ced63f250ec2ad59d7c5c626a is the first bad commit
>>  commit 5cb2c3bd0c5e0f3ced63f250ec2ad59d7c5c626a
>>  Author: Vincent Guittot <vincent.guittot@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>  Date:   Mon Feb 7 17:14:25 2011 +0100
>>
>>      [CPUFREQ] calculate delay after dbs_check_cpu
>>
>> When I revert the above in 3.0-rc1 the CONFIG_NO_HZ=y symptoms vanish.

The patch, you have mentioned, solves a problem when ondemand governor
goes  from highest frequency to a lower one. Without the patch, the
governor uses the longest sampling period (sampling period * scaling
down factor) with a low frequency during the 1st period after
decreasing the frequency. This can lead to a large time frame
(sampling period * scaling down factor) with a low frequency but an
overloaded cpu.

The other correction of the patch is linked to the powersave bias
mode. The governor didn't use the right period for the low frequency
step (freq_lo_jiffies) but a larger one (sampling period * scaling
down factor). The ratio between low and high frequency was not the
right one.

Do you use the powersave bias mode ?

Could you give us more statistics : the number of state transition
could be an interesting value. Is there a difference with and without
CONFIG_NO_HZ ? What is your sampling rate ?

One difference with CONFIG_NO_HZ is the real sampling period which can
be greater than the timer configuration because of the deferrable
mode. The deferrable mode has nearly no effect when CONFIG_NO_HZ is
not set because the tick timer will ensure enough cpu activity to
trigger the governor. When CONFIG_NO_HZ is set, the ondemand governor
work is triggered at the beginning of a cpu activity so we have more
chance to have a short cpu load in one period instead of splitting it
into 2 differents periods. This behavior is quite useful for
responsiveness but can generates spurious frequency increase if the
sampling rate is too short.

Vincent