partprobe or partx or ... ?

Hi Ilya,

At present ceph-disk uses partprobe to ensure the kernel is aware of the latest partition changes after a new one is created, or after zapping the partition table. Although it works reliably (in the sense that the kernel is indeed aware of the desired partition layout), it goes as far as to remove all partition devices of the current kernel table, only to re-add them with the new partition table. The delay it implies is not an issue because ceph-disk is rarely called. It however generate many udev events (dozens remove/change/add for a two partition disk) and almost always creates border cases that are difficult to figure out and debug. While it is a good way to ensure that ceph-disk is idempotent and immune to race conditions, maybe it is needlessly hard.

Do you know of a light weight alternative to partprobe ? In the past we've used partx but I remember it failed to address some border cases in non-intuitive ways. Do you know of another, simpler, approach to this ?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre