Re: ceph-brag ready

On 03/04/2014 12:35 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
Hi Sebastien,

Good seeing you last week in Frankfurt!

I meant to follow up earlier (or hack on this a bit myself) but haven't
had time.  After taking a look, my wish list here would be:

- simplify the 'bytes' info to just be bytes.

- maybe prefix these all with 'num_'

- for crush_types, make it a map of type to count, so we can tell how many
racks/rows/hosts/etc there are.

- i wouldn't include the pool names in the pool metadata; that is probably
too sensitive.

Ack, just the IDs are fine. Pool names can indeed have to much information in them.

- but, we can include 'type' (replicated|erasure) and change 'rep_size' to
'size' (which is a more general name)

Why not also include the num of PGs per pool? Now we only see the num of PGs in total, but we probably want this to map to the pools as well.

- for sysinfo, i would remove nw_info entirely?  not sure what this would
be for, but generally if there is any identifying info people will not
want to use this

- for all the other metadata, i wonder if it would be better to break it
down into a histogram (like the crush types) with a value and count, so
that we just see how many of each version/distro/kernel/os/arch/cpu/etc
are running.  unless people think it would be useful to see how they
correlate?

In general, it seems like the more compact the info is, the easier and
more likely it is for a person to look at it, see it is safe to share, and
then do so.

I would also find out if a cluster is running on IPv4 or IPv6. Would be interesting to see which it is using.

Thanks!
sage