Re: CentOS 6 mount of ntfs formatted usb stick fails

On 04/19/2014 08:32 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
On 04/19/2014 02:13 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 04/17/2014 08:08 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
# file -s -k /dev/sdf1
/dev/sdf1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x76

seems like the partition /dev/sdf1 contains an x86 boot sector - so what do I
mount?? where is the data?
It's lacking a lot of the parameters I wold expect to see there, e.g.:

    # file -s -k /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x52, OEM-ID "NTFS    ",
sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 0, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads 255, hidden
sectors 2048, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x80)

That is from Windows 7. Is the difference due to Windows 8? I don't know --
I don't have anything with Windows 8.  I did run across this:

http://nodehead.com/tip-of-the-day-mount-a-windows-8-ntfs-partition-for-reading-in-linux/

But, the "Fast Startup" change it describes might only apply to the Windows 8 boot partition. You might try the suggestion to mount the partition with
an explicit "read-only" flag.
tried the mount with the -r (read only) flag - no difference.
I also have a hard drive with windoze on it and using the file command against that I get almost exactly what you do. For some reason this usb stick is different. When I get the opportunity I'll try it on windoze system, write to it and unmount it properly, maybe it wasn't closed properly by the person I got it from, and I cannot ask them, they would have no idea what I'm talking about.
Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll update this if I get any further.

request to epel packagers - I know this is a centos list, but many epel folk read here too. just had a look at the ntfs-3g developers site (tuxera.com) and find that significant development has occurred since 2011.4.12.5 - with 3 further stable releases.
Any chance that epel can update to the latest version 2014.2.15?
It may fix my problem .... my rpm build skills are very poor, only ever done it once over three years ago.
TIA
Rob