Re: Old HP Xeon server blade with only SCSI HDD ports & CentOS

On 4/11/2014 8:21 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Each of the two blades has its own riser board with 3 Broadcom Gigabit
> Ethernet chips.
> But there are no ethernet sockets in the blade itself. It seems the
> ethernet signals go out of the back of the blade through the propietary
> connector and then into an array of PC-ILO female sockets on the back

the bladeservers I've seen, the bladechassis has a pair of managed
ethernet switch modules in it, this is where all your network ports
terminate.   the ILO stuff is just for remote console, NOT for your main
networking.

those processors in those g3 blades are virtually the same as a pair of
P4, each blade has 1 or 2 of one of these...

     Dual-Core Intel Xeon processor 2.8 GHZ/800MHz - 4MB
     Single-Core Intel Xeon processor 3.8 GHz/800MHz - 2MB
     Single-Core Intel Xeon processor 3.4 GHz/800MHz - 2MB
     Single-Core Intel Xeon processor 3.2 GHz/800MHz - 2MB
     Single-Core Intel Xeon processor 3.0 GHz/800MHz - 2MB (Low Voltage)
     Single-Core Intel Xeon processor 3.6 GHz/800MHz - 1MB
     Single-Core Intel Xeon processor 3.4 GHz/800MHz - 1MB
     Single-Core Intel Xeon processor 3.2 GHz/800MHz - 1MB
     Single-Core Intel Xeon processor 2.8 GHz - 1MB (Low-Voltage)

a modern Intel 'Core' processor has 2-3 times the bang per Ghz per
core.   Those old Xeon's will NOT support 64bit virtualization. They use
buffered DDR2 ECC dram, with a max of 8GB per blade.  The mezzenaine
board are NOT PCI-E, they are proprietary, and they support HP
361426-B21 2Gbps Fiberchannel Host Bus Adapters.