Re: CENTOS 6.5 NO syslog.conf file. How to fix?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:48 PM, James A. Peltier <jpeltier@xxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

As did Debian for example (one more compelling reason to stick with rsyslog
--> standardization).

Many bright individuals at Red Hat and Debian chose rsyslog as the default.
 That does not mean their choices are the "best fit" for every scenario.

> the configuration is now /etc/rsyslog.conf.  However, because this is
> rsyslog now, your existing syslog configurations will not work.  You will
> either need to move to

Not exactly true.
Some of the configuration is transferable.
( But if you use the new rsyslog format that only rsyslog supports, it is
not compatible with sysklogd.  Not sure why that would matter though! )

"Rsyslogd tries to keep as compatible to stock syslogd as possible." [2]

The lead rsyslog developer, Rainer, says rsyslog will take the sysklogd
config file. [0]

More rsyslog docs from their site and wiki. [1] [2] [3]

**Apparently rsyslog web services are having problems right now**
( I checked from downforeveryoneorjustme.com )
You might be able to snag a cached version from Google Cache or some other
web cache in the meantime.

rsyslog or remove rsyslog and install syslog-ng if you wish to continue
> using your existing configurations.

EPEL has packaged syslog-ng [4] if the OP must to go that route.
( But syslog-ng is _NOT_ compatible with sysklogd or rsyslog. )

[0] http://lists.adiscon.net/pipermail/rsyslog/2010-February/026643.html
[1] http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/rsyslog_conf.html
[2] http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v3compatibility.html
[3] http://wiki.rsyslog.com/index.php/Rsyslog_on_CentOS_success_story