Re: Motion Detecting Camera

On 03/10/14 19:20, Nathan Duehr wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2014, at 1:15 PM, m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>    1) We run, and have been running for *years*, inexpensive USB cameras
>> plugged into rackmount servers
>>         running the motion package on CentOS. Every few subreleases, some
>> problem crops up in what I
>>         *think* is the video driver that comes with CentOS (gspca), and I
>> spend a lot of time
>>         resolving the problems.
>>    2) My manager says he "wants to be out of the business" of this, and
>> wants me to look into
>>          "surveillance appliance" packages - that is, a DVR w/ say, four
>> cameras. They're all in
>>          "computer labs", where the lights are on 24x7, so no weather or
>> low-light worries. USB
>>          or BNC cables are fine, don't need wireless or IP cameras.
>
> So if he "wants to be out of the business", why is he having you spec the solution?
>
> Call a security company and tell them what you want, and they'll send the
> bill and they'll be "in the business"... LOL!
>
> Sorry, just thought your boss sounds as silly as mine...

My boss is *very* reasonable. You didn't read the post. A "security" company
would need clearance to even walk into the room (we actually care about the
security of PII and HIPAA data). And that would add a *LOT* to the division
budget. Sorry, were you offering to pay more in taxes (if you're in the US)
every year, and tell them where you were donating more money?

The business he's talking about is this every year, year and a half of me
wasting a lot of time figuring out workarounds for ancient webcams and bugs
that keep returning....

	mark