Re: Growing HW RAID arrays, Online

----- Original Message -----
| On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Phoenix, Merka
| <merka.phoenix@xxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

| I am aware of how lvm, and filesystems work.  I don't need help with
| those.  I'm asking one thing: how to get the kernel to notice that a
| partition has grown.

Don't use partitions.  Use whole disk PVs and avoid partitioning all together.  With LVM there are no need for partitions.  When you grow the underlying PV and then rescan the bus to see the new sizes you just start using the new space.

If you choose to use partitions then you need to scan the disk to detect the new size, create a new partition (easiest) that uses the free space, configure it as LVM (8e) pvcreate on the new partition, vgextend the VG to the new partition and you're off and running.  Alternatively, you can make note of the current partition boundaries, delete the existing partition, recreate it on the exact partition starting boundary and make it the size of the total disk space.

The choice is yours.  I use whole disk PVs myself.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group

"Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.  We KEEP MOVING FORWARD, opening up new doors and doing things because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney