Re: Upgrading Perl (modules) / RequestTracker

Am Wed, 05 Feb 2014 06:23:25 +0100
schrieb Chris <ch2009@xxxxxxxx>:

> Well, it seems you have to install RT manually on CentOS 6 [1].
>
> On 02/05/2014 12:33 AM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> > I have no experience with Debian/Ubuntu, but I’d really only use
> > packages in case I could package them up myself, specifically for
> > this task.
>
> For Debian, there are packages readily available, which get updated
> automatically.

Well, there are also packages for FreeBSD.
RT and all dependencies.

> I had not any problems with dependencies. You don't
> have to do anything. Sorry, to say this on this list, but this is a
> task I would choose Debian for [2].

The reason I wouldn't just blindly install or update packages is that I
don't believe that even the Debian guys do sufficient testing to ensure
that RT actually works after the update.

This is, of course, a highly RT-specific discussion.
But in defense of CentOS, I don't see a fundamental problem running RT
on it - actually, due to the long support-cycles, it might even be
better suited than e.g. Ubuntu LTS. Ticketing-Systems usually have
exceptionally long replacement-cycles.
You just have to make sure you know what you are doing and find a
usable change-management strategy.