Re: OT hardware question

Matt Garman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 9:52 AM,  <m.roth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> With the continuing annoyance from motion, my manager's asked me to go
>> looking again for a video surveillance appliance: basically, a
>> motion-detecting DVR and cameras. The big thing, of course, is a) price
>> (this is a US federal gov't agency, and being civilian, money is
>> *tight*, don't give me the libertarian/GOP line about how freely we spend,
>> thankyouverymuch), b) it has to be on the network, and c) we need to be
>> able to d/l to a server, and rm after we do that... and we want to
>> script or cron job that.
>>
>> Right now, I'm looking into Zmodo, R-Tech and CIB security. Anyone have
>> a) opinions on the quality of the hardware from any of those manufacturers
>> (yeah, I know, they're just branded hardware), and/or whether we can do
>> the ssh or telnet in to do what we need?
>>
>> *Extremely* frustrating, since they're all running embedded Linux, that
>> so many say IE and Active X....
>
> I don't have specific recommendations for you, but here is some
> general info that you might find useful, as I've been looking into
> this myself.  Obviously, there exist IP cameras, but, as you've

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not looking for IP cameras - we'll be
getting cameras that plug into a surveillance DVR appliance. It's the
->DVR's<- firmware software will do the recording and picture taking. What
we need is to be able to d/l *from* the DVR to a server, where we can
store it. We don't even need fancy cameras - we're currently using 10 or
so yr old, USB 1 or 1.1 webcams, and the standard package named motion,
which works fine... when it works. When the drivers have bugs creep in,
that's what's pushed my manager to ask me to look this up.

       mark