Re: openldap mmr + heartbeat hot standby

Wessel van der Aart wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've setup 2 openldap servers in n-way multimaster replication mode in a
> test environment, both run centos 6.2,
> this works well but now i'm trying to  make these 2 servers failover
> using heartbeat.
> i've got no experience with heartbeat (or setting up clusters in
> general) however from what i understand heartbeat starts/stops the
> service if the server has the virtual IP assigned or not.
> this would be fine for httpd , but since replication doesn't work when
> slapd is stopped i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to
> setup heartbeat with a hot standby? so that the service keeps running
> but the ip does gets reassigned when one goes down.

A slight clarification: what happens on a failover cluster is that you've
got heartbeat running, and each machine looks to see if the other's still
alive. At this point, one is live, and the other's standby. If/when the
standby notices it cannot see - even a ping - the other address, or it can
be configured to look for a service, such as doing a default search (for
apache, that might be a wget ImAlive.html) - it tells the system to assert
the IP, and turns up all services for which it's been configured.

I haven't done it, but I'd say you could easily configure heartbeat to
check, and if the IP's visible, but the service times out, to tell the
live one to turn down services, and to take over primaryhood.

Hope that's clearer.

        mark