Re: [OT] Cannot boot into GUI after Video Driver is Installed

Earl Ramirez wrote:
> On 21 May 2012 10:06, <m.roth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Earl Ramirez wrote:
<snip>
>> > A few weeks ago I was trying to install KVM on my laptop, I bought a
>> > new laptop and immediately after I install the nVidia drivers I receive
>> > the following error "libfcoe_device_notification: NETDEV_UNREGISTER lo"
>> >
>> > I spent several hours googling the error and there are several issues,
>> > however none of them are related to my situation.
>> >
>> > I am running CentOS 6.2
>> <snip>
>> You say that you deleted xorg.conf, and could then boot into runlevel 5
>> using the default drivers. If you do an lsmod, does it show nouveau?
>>
>> When I do lsmod I see nvidia
<snip>
>> Second question: does the version of kmod-nvidia support your graphics
>> card?
>
> This is interesting now that you mention it, the sticker on the laptops
> says "nvidia GEFORCE GT 635M 2GB" and when I run lspci I see the
> following.
>  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT
> 555M] (rev a1).
>
> I verified that nvidia 635M is supported on the nvidia site.
> Version:295.53 CertifiedRelease Date:2012.05.16Operating System:Linux
<snip>

>> Oh, and did you yum install it, so that you got nvidia-x11-drv?
>>
>> I installed it using yum.

But what I was asking was whether this version of kmod-nvidia uses the
nvidia-released support for that card. You said you bought a new laptop
that this is on - is that brand new out of the box, or new-to-you, used?

>  The correct version is x86_64
> [wildfire@wildfire ~]$ rpm -qa | grep nvidia
> nvidia-x11-drv-295.53-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
> kmod-nvidia-295.53-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
> [wildfire@wildfire ~]$
>
> I don't know if this will shed any light but usually before you see the
> login screen you will see nvidia once it have been installed correctly,
> however I am see intel which is strange.

*That* is extremely strange. Could there be a second, Intel, video?

      mark