Re: when is the o.s. considered to be at a certain minor version? Or, is it safe to apply only certain package updates from the next release version?

On 05/10/2012 11:48 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic<office@xxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>
>> I can not agree with this. Minor versions also introduce newer kernels
>> (hardware support) and some changes in packages that are not done during
>> regular update releases. Certain technological previews are also
>> introduced and so on.
>
> Theoretically the updates between minor versions are supposed to be
> security and critical bug fixes while the minor version updates batch
> in less critical fixes and some new things.
>
>> If you were right, then all those packages would just be shoved into
>> "updates" repository.
>
> They pretty much are.  You should be able to 'yum update' any specific
> package to any newer rev. regardless of the revisions of the rest of
> the system, and the rpm dependencies will pull anything else that must
> be updated to match.  However, I've seldom seen any reason to not stay
> close to up to date on everything.

I regularly update all installed packages. That part I agree with. Sorry
for confusion.

I do not agree with "minor versions are only snapshots in time when
install media is re-generated". I should have left only part of the
sentence I disagree with.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)