Re: when is the o.s. considered to be at a certain minor version? Or, is it safe to apply only certain package updates from the next release version?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can not agree with this. Minor versions also introduce newer kernels
> (hardware support) and some changes in packages that are not done during
> regular update releases. Certain technological previews are also
> introduced and so on.

Theoretically the updates between minor versions are supposed to be
security and critical bug fixes while the minor version updates batch
in less critical fixes and some new things.

> If you were right, then all those packages would just be shoved into
> "updates" repository.

They pretty much are.  You should be able to 'yum update' any specific
package to any newer rev. regardless of the revisions of the rest of
the system, and the rpm dependencies will pull anything else that must
be updated to match.  However, I've seldom seen any reason to not stay
close to up to date on everything.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx