Re: Cloud on CentOS Server

On Mar 8, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Craig White <craig.white@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> I have so far found eyeOS and am also looking at ownCloud. Thanks Devin
>>> for that link.
>> ----
>> I must be getting old because I vaguely recall these things being called workgroup collaboration software.
>>
>> Check out...
>>
>> - horde/imp/kronolith/etc. http://www.horde.org
>>
>> - alfresco - http://www.alfresco.com
>>
>> and of course just google open source groupware to get a whole lot of choices
>
> The new twist is that they need to work from phones and tablets.   So,
> you need clients on those platforms (gmail/calendar is tuned for
> google on android...) or everything has to run in a browser.   But you
> probably want real calendar support with notifications...
----
horde/imp/etc. has caldav/ical support and works fine w/ mobile devices.

While Alfresco doesn't have the bits about calendar integration, that's easily obtained from davical.

Device integration for things like calendars isn't that difficult but the lack of standards on for address books can be a real issue for things like the smartphones which allow a lot of telephone numbers per contact, and vary in mapping every day fields such as home addresses. Even Gmail doesn't completely solve it but handles the simple users rather easily.

Craig