Re: Eeek, my centos6 box won't boot after broken update, need help w/ yum

Hello Ljubomir,

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:06:44 +0100 Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/08/2012 11:32 AM, wwp wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >

> > I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
> > latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
> > only in init 3 mode (tty).
> >
> >  From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
> > to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.
> >
> > yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
> > transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing<packagename>  - ud from
> > the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
> > lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
> > Same stuff if I start that command again.
> >
> > A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.
> >
> > Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
> >

> "yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
> number). Use that number in:
>
> "yum history undo <number>", "yum history redo <number>" or "yum history
> rollback <number>"
>
> Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.

Hm. Since I use CentOS (was using Fedora before) I discover some yum
advanced features, thanks for teaching me, Ljubomir :-).

None of the undo or rollback commands work, mostly because of hundreds
of "Failed to downgrade <packagename>" lines (those packagenames are
not part of the stalled transaction, BTW).

It seems that the problem is not simply a broken transaction today,
`yum check` reports 399 pre-existing rpmdb problems, typically
conflicts between duplicate old and new versions of tons of other
packages, and I don't have a clue of when/how this has all been broken.

And don't know how to fix.. reinstalling the system seems a bit rough?

Regards,

--
wwp