Re: how to add file-based disk space to a guest

hi there,

coming back on a old thread.  My topic is rather simple : I want to
attach a file-based hard drive to a linux guest.
I want to understand differences between doing it with command line
tools versus virt-manager GUI.

- first, creating a disk image on the physical host:
qemu-img  create -f qcow2 /mnt/qemu_disk_images/disk1.qcow2 15G

- then, appending a disk definition into the guest XML file:

$ virsh dumxml myguest > dump.xml
(...)
<disk type='file' device='disk'>
  <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='default'/>
  <source file='/mnt/qemu_disk_images/disk1.qcow2'/>
  <target dev='vdb' bus='virtio'/>
</disk>
(...)

$virsh define myguest dump.xml

Then I have to reboot (virsh shudtown + virsh start) the guest to have
the new /dev/vdb device available.
If I do the same operation from the virt-manager GUI (add
hardware>storage>existing storage>virtio-disk>browse local file), the
/dev/vdb device pops up into the guest, even without rebooting.

Can someone tell me the difference between what I do and what the GUI does ?

thanks
Tom