Re: [CentOS-docs] Grub Installation for CentOS 5 and 6

Yves Bellefeuille wrote on 09/17/2011 11:51 PM:
> Hello:
>
> I've written information on installing Grub:
> http://wiki.centos.org/YvesBellefeuille/Grub_Installation
>
> I wrote this in response to requests that I update the Hard Disk Upgrade
> Mini How-To I wrote a zillion years ago to add information about Grub:
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-August/115661.html
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-August/115617.html
>

> The most suitable place would probably be CentOS Tips and Tricks:
> Installation Tips.
>
> There's already information at Tips and Tricks: Troubleshooting: How to
> re-install bootstrap code (GRUB), but I think my documentation is
> clearly better. :-) (Except that I don't mention an HP Smart Array
> disk, about which I know nothing.)
>
> There's also information at Tips and Tricks: Installation Tips: Start an
> installation from GRUB. This is somewhat related to my documentation,
> but I think that my information would be a useful addition.

Very complete - probably too much so for Tips and Tricks:

"This page contains a number of shorter items that people find useful.
If you need a quick fix, you're in the right place."

I'd put it the HowTos section ("This page contains some longer HowTos
for achieving different tasks on CentOS systems."), and insert
cross-links with the old TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB page as that has a
lot of existing references from forum posts.

An introductory section, describing why one might need this information
(as opposed to the ReinstallGRUB situation where something has clobbered
the existing boot record for an already-installed GRUB), would be a good
addition.

On CentOS /boot/grub/menu.lst is a symbolic link to the real file -
grub.conf.  I suggest adding a note to that effect, and
"gs/menu.lst/grub.conf/".

Style comments: The page is long enough to deserve and a table of
contents.  Insert near the top:

[[TableOfContents([1])]]

All the explicit numbers should be replaced by auto-generated numbers.
For example see:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/IPTables?action=raw

Phil