video file playing in debian?

Hi all,
granted I am still at the document reading stage, creating issues with my install. Once there tough I am wondering what I can use for playing files I get from say youtube and other locations?
we have a terrific program on shellworld for getting them,
its called movgrab.
but once I get the program from my shellworld space to my machine running debian, how will I play it? something command line, like the audio player I use in dos, mpxplay would be terrific.
Thanks,
Karen