Any Better Binary News-Group Solution?

OK, I am still struggling with constaits of Linux news-readers. You see I usually grab binaries in Pine and must pipe in the raw to uudeview because for the last 8years they are yenc encoded. For just reading or pairing down, I really like trn. Limitations, especially in binaries, pine will handle around 10thousand articles, while I cannot seem to load a news-group in trn with 1million articles. My friend runs xnews in windows--and-it will handle a large amount, however, there seems no linux version of xnews--and-running in wine would not give me speech in a console. We have also tried some of those commandline only programs such as bnr but even running a search of a news-group bombed out. So why are their seemingly no linux/unix news/usenet applications which are robust enough to handle today's load? Or how easy would it be to write one? Actually, why wouldn't I be able to login with an ncftp program to an nntp server--and-grab articles? In an ideal world, other than a web interface such as what easynews has, an ftp type would be seemingly perfect, as we would not be loading all headers-and-articles in at once.
I not only have an account in easynews, but run GigaNews in nntp.
I really hope some of you have wonderful suggestions--and-thanks so much in advance
Hart