Re: USB Sound Care Recommendation?

Hi Chris,

I can't exactly give you a specific card recommendation.  I'm actually
interested in this subject myself.

First, not sure if you noticed but the card list linked to from the website
is no longer being updated.  The current one is at
http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

No idea why they don't directly link to that one.

On that page it says that all standards-compliant USB soundcards should
work, and any that don't should be reported to the mailing list.

I've only had very limited experience with USB soundcards at all, and only
under Windows.  I can report that the simple Creative card that I picked out
for the project just worked, without having to install anything.  This
sounds pretty standards-compliant to me.

The only other advice I can give is that many cards will probably do much
more than you want, unless you want 467 audio channels (well ok, not that
many but you get the idea).  A basic stereo USB card will be surprisingly
cheap, but you'll need to dig a bit to find it amongst all the gaming and
7.1 surround sound cards available.  the card I picked out was a stereo card
with RCA inputs and outputs, plus a headphone jack and volume knob.  I'd
tell you what it was except I don't have access to that information right
now (I will be able to get at it when I set up my PC).

Hope this is of some help.
Geoff.