Re: My Windblows partition no longer visible in Ubuntu

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Krister Ekstrom wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:15:39 +0200
> From: Krister Ekstrom <krister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Wojtek.Pilorz <wpilorz@xxxxxx>
> Cc: blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: My Windblows partition no longer visible in Ubuntu
>
> >> /Krister totally clueless
> >>
> > run as root (after su - )
> >
> > fdisk -l /dev/hda
> >
> > cat /proc/partitions
> This had an interesting effect. It turned out that all the partitions
> were there, but they had changed name. Instead of "hda1", "hda3" etc
> they were now called "sda1", "sda3" etc. Is this some kind of error and
> what could one do to rectify the problem if it is a problem?
> /Krister, just confused this time

Most probably you system have SATA disk, which is visible under /dev/sda?
Perhaps you upgraded you system recently?

Or maybe you had PATA emulation, which has been turned off?

Try
 fdisk -l /dev/sda

then, and if /dev/sda2 is windows-type partition, try mounting it using
that name.

If you run
grep hda /etc/fstab
and it reports anyting, some correction will be needed.
Otherwise you are most probably OK.

Best regards,

Wojtek