how to access files from other machine's old Win98 partitions?

I have an old box that I used to dual boot 98 and Fedora core 2 on that I want to format and only put Linux back on. I replaced it with my new machine awhile back and the file shares I was using to transfer files off the old partitions on to the new XP system went down when the power did during a storm awhile ago. The sharing just won't come back no matter what I try, so I thought maybe booting it into the Linux install that is on the second drive might help. Would it work to mount the 2 Fat32 partitions I had on the primary drive on subdirectories under my home directory and FTP the directories I want down? The network card seems to come up when I booted it with the Fedora core 2 rescue disk I had around, got the Cheapbytes set awhile back. Will my idea of this FTP method work, as I know the other machine can get on ftp sites, it should be relatively safe if I use a good password on the account whose home directory I mount the partitions in subdirectories under.