Re: web development

At 02:46 PM 10/11/2005, you wrote:
I was just wondering wwhat web development tools folks are using? Which rate high on the accessability scale?

How well do you know how to code for the web?  I personally just
use Vim and lynx for simple stuff in a session of screen.  But
then again, I'm quite comfortable with HTML, PHP and SQL so I
prefer not to have some development environment try and hold my
hand.  Vim has some nice plugins for making it easier to work
with HTML.  Some folks may prefer Emacs, Pico/Nano, "ed",
"edbrowse" (popular here on the list, so I'll give it a plug) or
whatever.  If you're really good, you can use "cat" or "echo"

I use TextPad. I tried to convert to UltraEdit but couldn't get comfortable with it. So now I own licenses for both. I still use UltraEdit's edit-ivia-sftp feature frequently. But if I'm working on a script for hours at a time, I uusually use TextPad.

However, I used to write a lot of Visual Basic and the Microsoft editor is very, very nice. If you type in a function name, it gives you a parameterlist. If you can't remember the function name, it you can easily search for it. Something like that would be very nice for php, python, or perl.

When I'm writing php, I often have an extra browser open to use for googling for things like "php manual ldap functions". It's a pain.