Re: Speakup without a synth

Chris Norman writes:
> Hi guys, I've just read the how-to on the speakup page (while I'm downloading the images), and it keeps saying about hardware synthasizers. The problem is, I don't have one, I've been running Hal and SuperNova for all my years of using computers, can I run Linux and SpeakUp without buying a synthasizer?

Yes, maybe. But, you cannot install using speech without a hardware
synth.

I say "maybe," because I have not had success compiling
speech-dispatcher under gcc-4, but you are probably downloading a distro with
an earlier gcc. Do a Google search for speech-dispatcher to find
messages about how to get it working.

> Cheers,
>
> Chris Norman.
>
> <!-- chris.norman4@xxxxxxxxxxxx -->