RE: XGrabPointer

Alfred Wrote:
> I believe that if you use XGrabPointer all other
> windows
> will stop receiving mouse events. I think thats not
> what
> you want.. Why do you need to check for mouse events
> in other
> windows?

I am building an application running on Linux
consisting of a desktop that has two windows (J
windows) written in Java and one window that is
written in C++.  All windows are always viewable
(meaning that no window can float over/under other
windows).  This piece of the application will function
in a manner that while the user continues to move the
mouse or press keys, the system remains in an active
state (the user is logged on).  If the user has a
specified period of inactivity (no mouse movement and
key presses) the system will detect the this and send
a message to a Java class telling the system to logout
(it will first give a warning message then after about
30 seconds if no activity still exists the Java class
will log the user out - if however the user moves the
mouse or presses a key, the Java class is told that
the system is now active and the pending logout is
cancelled).

To my understanding, Java can only detect mouse moves
and key presses in a Java window and KDE, which is our
desktop, can only detect mouse/keyboard in the active
window so I was looking into XGrabPointer (and the
compariable keyboard function) to detect this mouse
movement and key presses.

> I believe that if you use XGrabPointer all other
> windows
> will stop receiving mouse events.
I am starting to agree with Alfred that XGrabPointer
cannot do it because it grabs the pointer and does not
give it up.

Does anybody know of a good way to handle what I need
to do.

Thanks for the help,
Dallas