Re: Internal data (was Re: Speech-enabling approach) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:36:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@xxxxxx>
    <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Internal data (was Re: Speech-enabling approach) (fwd)

What I do for a living (and there are others on this list who do it too)
is work on convincing sighted people to produce Web Content which can be
used properly by blind people (and by deaf people, by people with limitied
mobility, and all the other people out there in cyberspace).

I work for the W3C's Web Accessibility Initiative, whose purpose is to
make the web accessible to people (more or less) both by figuring out
technical parts of the solution, and by convincing people that it's "the
right thing to do".

So a quick and very idiosyncratic summary of what's on this week:

The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines - how to make stuff for the web
that is useful to everyone - is in its final week of public review.
Further details at http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL

The Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines group have just been
discussing (again) why it is important to make authoring tools which not
only produce accessible code (ie which uses ALT text properly, asking the
author the right questions and providing the right help) but which are
themselves accessible. If you are an authoring tool developer, in
particular, we would be keen to hear from you. Further details at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU

The User Agent Guidelines group are discussing the things which browsers
need to do themselves, and what information they need to make available to
screen readers, braille displays, etc. I am certain they would welcome
review of their documents by people who are familiar with the problems.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA

I am idly thinking about whether it is possible to make Amaya accessible.
It is a combined browser and editor, the source code is (or is about to be
- I am not sure of the release cycles) freely available, and it runs under
Xwindows and Win32. I like it a lot for producing code, but it is only
developed as a testbed platform, and making it more accessible would be a
good thing.

And there are other people at work too.

Charles McCathieNevile